Vehicles must undergo a safety inspection before registration. Periodically, most vehicles also must have their emissions tested under the Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program (VEIP).
ASE offers certification tests for automotive professionals through Prometric Test Centers. These involve several exams, the passing of which, added with two years of relevant hands-on work experience, will merit certification. The required experienced can be substituted by one year of on-the-job training and a two-year training degree. A recertification track is also offered for those who have had the previous certification. Upon certification, the certified applicant will also receive an ASE shoulder insignia, wallet I.D. card and a wall certificate suitable for framing. As of June 2016, ASE has stopped providing the Wallet Card and has no plans for it to return.
ASE certification is usually required (not by law but by employers) for those interested in pursuing a career in automotive mechanic/auto mechanic or automotive technician service.
There are nine different Automobile & Light Truck Certifications:
- A1 – Engine Repair Certification
- A2 – Automatic Transmission Certification
- A3 – Manual Drive Train & Axles Certification
- A4 – Suspension & Steering Certification
- A5 – Brakes Certification
- A6 – Electrical Systems Certification
- A7 – Heating & Air Conditioning Certification
- A8 – Engine Performance Certification
- A9 – Light Vehicle Diesel Engine